When looking back at history, it’s important to understand the thinking of the time. In other words, it’s important to understand the context of what life was like to have a better understanding of people’s beliefs and actions. It’s also important in contemporary times – whether your major is public policy, education, or a different discipline – to be able to see the perspective of all stakeholders.
· This activity focuses on perspective taking and identifying the different perspectives taken.
· This process creates a greater awareness of how others may be thinking and feeling.
· It reinforces that people can and do think differently about the same things.
· It provides a structure to assist in the exploration of a viewpoint.
· The ultimate goal is to gain a broader and more complete understanding of the topic, event, or issue.
Now, you are going to consider the point of view from different groups as discussed in Chapter 3 of your text. Be sure to go back and reread pertinent sections to ensure the depth and accuracy of your responses.
Complete the three steps below, and then submit your completed Circle of Viewpoints document to the Circle of Viewpoints Dropbox folder.
Choose FOUR of the following individuals and/or groups to explore.
· An Irish immigrant in the 1800’s
· A New England factory owner in the 1800’s
· A New England factory worker in the 1800’s
· A Puritan believer in Calvanism
· Horace Mann
· A poor student going to school in the 1800’s
· A female teacher in the 1840’s
· A male teacher in the 1840’s
· Frederick A. Packard
· Johann Fichte (Prussian system)
Complete the “Circle of Viewpoints” table below, using information from the textbook and your inferences after reading the chapter. You can be creative with this process, but be sure to be “true” to the group or individual you choose. An example is provided for you, using Thomas Jefferson from a previous chapter. Table cells will expand to fit the text that you enter.
|INDIVIDUAL OR GROUP||PICTURE/IMAGE||I AM THINKING OF…||I THINK…
|A QUESTION OR CONCERN I HAVE FROM THIS VIEWPOINT IS…|
|INSTRUCTIONS||Identify the selected individual or group.
|Go to the Wikimedia Commonsand find an image to “see” your selected person / group. Include a small version of the image here. Include a citation of your source.
|Identify the event / issue.
|Describe the event / issue from the viewpoint of the individual / group, as if you were an actor.
Then, explain why you feel that way.
|Explain more about what you’re thinking.
|EXAMPLE||1. Thomas Jefferson||
Source: Wikimedia Commons
|I am thinking of the role of women.||I think women need to stay at home, bear children, and please their husbands because I specifically stated that “all men are created equal” – especially white property owners.||A question I have iswhy would any woman want to pursue higher education? Their place is in the home and at the hearth.|
|1.||Source:||I am thinking||I think ~ because||A question I have is|
|2.||Source:||I am thinking||I think ~ because||A question I have is|
|3.||Source:||I am thinking||I think ~ because||A question I have is|
|4.||Source:||I am thinking||I think ~ because||A question I have is|
Upload your completed Circle of Viewpoints document to the Circle of Viewpoints Dropbox folder in the course.