ESOL 0054 Level 4 writing
Directions: Students will work with one or two other classmates to prepare an academic essay that addresses one of the questions below. Together they will brainstorm for ideas, prepare an outline, a first draft, and a revised draft.
What kinds of problems do young people face when they study abroad? Discuss these problems and their potential consequences.
What kinds of problems do young people face when they begin their careers? Discuss these problems and their potential consequences.
Requirements: This essay is developed with examples, so make sure that the body paragraphs have specific examples for support. This is NOT an argumentative essay, so avoid offering opinions and/or taking a position.
1. There should be a separate introductory paragraph with a hook, a funnel, and a thesis statement. The thesis statement should be a direct statement, and it should be placed at the end of the introduction.
2. There should be three body paragraphs with clear topic sentences that have controlling ideas. There should be supporting sentences with specific examples of situations that give readers an understanding of each topic sentence. A concluding sentence appears at the end of the paragraph.
3. A concluding paragraph will have three parts: a restatement of the thesis statement, a summary of main points, and a reflection, prediction, or recommendation.
4. Transitions are used effectively throughout the essay.
1. Outline: Tuesday, September 4th
2. First Draft: Thursday, September 6th
4. Final Draft: Thursday, September 13th