Due: August 28, on or before 5:00 p.m.. Upload your take home exam as ONE DOCUMENT Grade: Out of 35. Weight is 35% of final grade. Instructions 1. Students will answer 5 of the 12 short essay questions. Each response should be between 400 and 500 words in length.
2. Each response is worth 7 marks. Abuse of length will result in an automatic deduction of one grade point from the content portion of the grading.
3. Each response must cite course material at least FIVE times. All course material including the textbook, lectures, additional readings, and videos. Please use IN TEXT citations (APA or MLA).
4. The exam must include: Name at the top of the first page, the questions being answered and a bibliography or work cited page at the end of your document.
5. Marks will be deducted for grammar and spelling – so please proof read.
6. Marks will be deducted for failure to cite and improper formatting of citations. Grading is as follows: Content – 5 marks • How structurally coherent is your response? (Does your response follow in a logical manner?) • How well do you integrate supporting data from your course text, videos, and other resources. • N.B.: All information included in your response must be properly cited. Grammar and punctuation – 1 mark Resources – 1 mark • All information needs to be properly cited (APA or MLA) • N.B.: You do not have to have a bibliography or work cited page after each question. You can attach a single bibliography or work cited page at the end of your document.
Sociology 201: Globalization
Take Home Exam Questions
1. (250 words for both a & b = 500 total words)
a. List and briefly explain the five elements of capitalism.
b. b. List and briefly explain the four ways in which consumer transformation was achieved.
2. (250 words for both a & b = 500 total words)
a. According to the International Monetary Fund what are the four basic features of globalization?
3. Using a Canadian example, explain what is meant by Malthusian inspired laws.
4. What is the IMF? The IMF was initially formed for what two primary functions? What is the primary function of the IMF?
5. What did the events of the Great Global Depression reveal?
6. Explain the main assumptions of Dependency Theory and the Modernization Theory.
7. Briefly explain the policies used to transform Iraq into a free-market economy.
8. Explain John Charles “Jack” Caldwall’s Wealth Flows Theory.
9. What is the purpose of agricultural subsidies and what are the pros/cons to providing these subsidies?
10. How are the World Bank and other western financial institutions responsible for contributing to increased poverty and hunger?
11. Explain how market liberalization affects sex trafficking.
12. Explain what is meant by “the invisible hand of the market place”.