NEW 1st Q & A HIST
HISTORY 101 Q & A
THREE sections of questions, read and answer in brief (max) 3-5 Sentences per question? The BRIEF answers must be in BOLD TEXT in each section, with relevant, competent, properly cited or quoted, college level, professionally written, complete content (answers)for all 24 questions ? Plagiarism sensitive. INDIVIDUAL ANSWERS in Q & A Format. EX; Section ONE 1a,question, 1b answer, SECTION TWO 1a question, 1b, answer, SECTION THREE- 1a question, 1b, answer.
1. According to Edmund S. Morgan, regarding slavery, What are some of the examples that Morgan gives of what he calls “the central paradox of American history of the South” – that liberty and equality in America developed simultaneously with slavery?
2. In trying to explain the central paradox, Morgan argues that the answer is more than just white racism. What does he think the better explanation for the paradox is?
3. How did American justifications of slavery reveal a fear of the “idle poor” of Europe?
4. How did the shift in death rates in Virginia – going from very high to much lower by the 1660s – effect Virginia society?
5. How did Bacon’s Rebellion in 1675-76 affect Virginia?
6. Why does Morgan argue that the increase of African slavery reduced tensions among whites in Virginia?
SECTION TWO (10) Questions- NUMBER EACH ANSWER, MATCHING it to each QUESTION !
1. According to Warren M. Billings, of the Southern colony of Virginia, starting with 1 to 11, using brief answers, ? What was an indenture?
2. How were conflicts among masters and servants ultimately resolved?
3. What were the “four broad categories” of regulations of indentures?
4 .H ow did servants respond to the harsh labor conditions of Virginia?
5. What did the legal term “chattels personal” mean in regard to indentures?
6. Why did planters begin promising land and goods to servants who completed their terms of service?
7. What problems did masters see with indentures that many thought slavery would solve?
8. How, according to Billings, did slavery become part of Virginia law?
9. Why did the General Assembly in Virginia declare in December 1662 that a child took the mother’s condition?
10. Was there precedent in English law for that December 1662 decision?
11. Why, according to Billings, were the laws of slavery in Virginia not an “unthinking decision” as other scholars have argued?
SECTION THREE (8) Questions- NUMBER EACH and Briefly ANSWER, MATCHING it to each QUESTION !
1. According to William L. Ramsey, staring with 1 to 8, using brief answers, What effects did the Yamasee War have on South Carolina?
2. Why was violence against Indian women more shocking for Indians?
3. Why did traders (and Indians) sometimes take away Indians’ personal belongings?
4. How did the seasonal nature of credit lead to the outbreak of violence?
5. Why were the practices of traders in South Carolina and Louisiana toward Indian slaves and the Indian trade different?
6. What was the job of the South Carolina Indian agent?
7. What role did the conflict between Nairne and Wright play?
8. When did reports of traders cheating the Indians rise? What significance does this piece of evidence have for Ramsey’s argument?