No unread replies.No replies.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|Individual Reflection and Team Collaboration|
Prepare: This week you will work with your news team to create broadcast scripts for the news programs AU TV News Channel 5 and talk radio WASU 86.23 FM. Your team will be using Google Docs to create the broadcast scripts.
Reflect: Refresh your memory about the audience you are writing for by reviewing the demographics (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Each news team will submit broadcast scripts in the order in which they will appear in the broadcast. This means that there will need to be transitions included at the end of each script leading to another one. Each news team member will only be responsible for one 5 minute story scripted for television and radio. While the same topic will be used, the story must be presented differently to accommodate the medium in which it appears. The broadcasts will not be delivered through electronic media; however, scripts must be highly detailed to be on-air ready for television and radio. Here is a list of segments and areas that you can focus on for your broadcasts:
· Breaking News
· This can be local or national and should focus on events that are prevalent to the local community.
· Local News (We will use San Diego for city and California for state news since it is home to AU.)
· Human Interest Stories
· National News
· Financial News
All team members must bring at least two current news topics for which they feel confident they will be able to get an interview from someone related to the topic (interviews may be conducted via email, by phone, or in person). All ideas will be presented in the Budget Meeting which will take place in Zoom (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
The Budget Meeting: Join your news team at the agreed upon time in Zoom. Be sure to record your meeting session. The team member chosen as News Director will be responsible for starting and sharing the Zoom session in the group area of the course.The news team will decide who will record the meeting and share the link in their Budget Meeting area of the course and who will take notes for the meeting to be shared.
Roles: The roles for this week are as follows:
· News Directors
· The News Director will be responsible for downloading the WASU 86.23 FM and AU News Channel 5 Templates from Doc Sharing and creating access to the workspace for all team members.
· Each news team member will write a script for a segment of the broadcast and load it as an individual file to the news teams Google Drive space for their editor to review. The writer will load their individual PDF file to the space with their last name so that it can be identified by the editor. (BroadcastScriptTV.TaylorMoore, BroadcastScriptRadio.TaylorMoore).
· Each news team member will edit a segment of the broadcast for another news team member and return the file to the Google Drive space for the writer to review suggestions and edits. The editor will save the file indicating that it has been reviewed (BroadcastScriptTV.TaylorMoore_edited, BroadcastScriptRadio.TaylorMoore_edited). To understand how to use editing marks in a PDF, review the Basic Proofreading Markup For PDFs Using Acrobat Reader XI (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. video.
Discussion: Every person must be a part of the Budget Meeting discussion presenting ideas and dialoging on the best approach to take in gathering and presenting the news.
Extenuating Circumstances: If there is an extenuating circumstance that has a verifiable excuse, the student must contact the instructor for guidance on the necessary steps to take. The students, however, must still participate with the news team in the writing and editing of the publication.
Deadlines: Students must submit work in the Google workspace and in the Budget Meeting area in the course by the following deadlines:
· The News Director is responsible for posting the recording in the team’s discussion area immediately after the session ends on Thursday, Day 3.
· All articles must be loaded to the Google workspace by Saturday, Day 5 so that editors will have an opportunity to suggest edits.
· All stories must be loaded to the news team’s publication by Monday, Day 7.
· The News Director must be sure that the publication is ready for downloading by Monday, Day 7 no later than 11:59 PM.
The team is required to continue using the team space in eCollege throughout the week to share dialogue about challenges and successes. A minimum of two posts are required of all team members.