Individual Assignment ( essay)
Assessment Due Date Week 6 Friday (24-Aug-2018) 23:55 PM AEST
Return Date to Students Week 8 Friday (09-Sep-2017)
Word Guide: 2000-2500 words
Students are required to discuss the following:
Many managers, when working overseas in particular in developing countries, engage in bribery and corruption as a way of securing contracts or ensuring that business transaction occur in a timely fashion. They often argue that whilst they would not engage in such practices in their home country, it is a common accepted practice and part of the culture of many developing countries.
· Explain what is bribery, corruption and its link to ethics.
· Examine bribery and corruption using ethical relativism. Can such practices be seen as part of a nation’s culture? If so what are the implications.
· Contrast bribery and corruption from the perspective of consequentialism, deontology and virtue ethics and how a manager would use to explain, defend or refute the practice.
· Contrast the Australian legislation that addresses the bribery of foreign officials with at least 1 other country’s approach.
· Based on the above discussion, draw your own conclusions as to whether you believe bribery and corruption is or is not ethical.
Students are to demonstrate knowledge of the subject matter by:
· Defining key terms and concepts related to ethics, morality, personhood and moral accountability
· Advancing a resolution to the ethical dilemmas using ethical theories and concepts with examples to illustrate
· Correctly using of the APA in text referencing system to correctly citing academic sources.
These are the minimum requirements. Students should note that satisfactorily meeting the minimum requirements will typically result in the minimum pass grade being awarded.
As Masters students you are required to engage in research as per the Australia Quality Framework (AQF) guidelines.
Two specific requirements need to be considered.
1. Students need to demonstrate “a body of knowledge that includes the understanding of recent developments in a discipline and/or area of professional practice, and
2. Students must demonstrate “knowledge of research principles and methods applicable to a field of work and/or learning”.
Each unit in the MBA has a number of required weekly readings in terms of academic texts, journals and business publications that represent the appropriate body of knowledge and recent developments referred to by the AQF. In order to demonstrate the ability to engage in appropriate research, students should read and utilise these texts and journals and publications. As Masters students you are expected to research beyond this minimum standard through additional texts, journals and studies to demonstrate an ability to engage in independent research.
Your attention is drawn to the University’s stated position on plagiarism. THE WORK OF OTHERS, WHICH IS INCLUDED IN THE ASSIGNMENT MUST BE ATTRIBUTED TO ITS SOURCE (a full list of references must be submitted as part of the assessment).
Referencing Style American Psychological Association (APA)