Your task is to consider:-
· different tools and techniques to aid a project manager manage complex projects;
· the degree and nature of the projects cases discussed in the unit in the context of the theories and ideas related to complex projects.
Then you must write an essay describing how you consider the points above are related to:-
· projects with lots of parts and interconnections;
· projects that contain a great deal of uncertainty;
· project that are heavily time-constrained.
You should illustrate your points by identifying what are the causes, theories, tools and techniques, that might be relevant to complex projects. You should use examples taken from case studies and examples discussed during the unit.
Your assignment will be assessed on the extent and quality to which it meets each of the following criteria.
1. A description of the theories and ideas specific to complex project management? (15%)
2. An explanation of the causes, environments, and properties of complex projects? (15%)
3. A discussion of the tools and techniques to aid a project manager manage complex projects? (15%)
4. Incorporation of project cases as illustration and arguments? (10%)
5. A critical review and integration of relevant academic and professional literature taken from Project Management programme (10%)
6. A clear flow of thought throughout the paper with a clear purpose described in the introduction and a comprehensive conclusion? (10%)
7. Clarity of expression, grammar, spelling and referencing? (20%)
8. Appropriate presentation format and presented within (±10%) of the word limit: 5,000 words? (5%)
The primary purpose of this assessment item is to help you to be able to define your thinking and allow you to classify the tools and techniques related complex project management. The secondary purpose of this assignment is to give you the opportunity to enhance your analysis, critical thinking and written communication skills; particularly in the areas of argument development and essay writing.
Your essay should be a properly constructed academic essay of 5,000 words. It should contain an effective introduction, body and conclusion. The introduction should introduce the essay and include your argument. The body should present the evidence you have collected to support your argument, and the conclusion should restate your argument, summaries the evidence and make a conclusion regarding your argument. The essay should contain a coherent, but necessarily restricted review of the academic literature on the topics in question. The literature review should be integrated into the essay, not a separate section. Do not include an executive summary or an abstract. A reference list formatted in the prescribed style is compulsory. Do not include a bibliography.