1. NY Times, A Company Copes With Backlash Against the Raise That Roared
2. The Seattle Times, Gravity Payments team gets CEO Dan Price a gift: a Tesla
In two full pages, please report your discussion results of the following tasks:
· Use two ideas in utilitarianism to evaluate whether Price’s action is justified. Start a paragraph for each idea. You should quote a sentence or two, from the news story and from the Mill reading, to back up your claim for each idea.
· Use two ideas in deontology to evaluate whether Price’s action is justified. Start a paragraph for each idea. You should quote a sentence or two, from the news story and from the Sandal reading, to back up your claim for each idea.
· What is your own overall comment on the Price case?
· I am not making an implicit suggestion that you must think it is morally right or wrong (which, of course, does not imply that any answers are reasonable).
· Comment on the information given and please don’t make ungrounded claims.
· This time you don’t need to come to class to do it, as the classroom does not have enough space for group study.
· The ideal group size is 3-5 people.
· Your response should be an essay, not in bullet form. There is no need for an elaborate citation system. Stating the page numbers in brackets would be sufficient.
· For average work, you will get around 18 out of 25 points. Those who put in extra effort and give thoughtful responses will get 1-5 more points. 2 points will be reserved for your feedback on my comments. For example, if you simply focus on a simplified notion of happiness, or take deontology as “all about motive,” that would count as an average work.
· Turn in your responses via email in a double-spaced MS Word document with 2-3 pages. There should be one submission per group. Please include the first and last names of all the group members, and your section time, in the document. Please use someone’s last name on the filename for easy identification. The email subject line should be “Group Project 2 from [last name 1], [last name 2], [last name 3] and [last name 4], [section time]”. In the email submission, you should also CC all other group members.
· I will try my best to return it by email before the test. In the returned file there are comments. EVERY MEMBER of the group should then write an email back to me, giving a brief feedback on my comments, which could be as short as two sentences. For example, you may acknowledge a mistaken idea, you may rephrase the correct idea and ask if you get it right this time, or you may explain why you overlooked certain ideas, etc. Primarily, it is an opportunity to have personal communication regarding what you have learned. If you write such an email to me within 24 hours of receiving my email, you will get 2 points. A simple “Thank you for your comments!” is not acceptable. If you have no feedback to say (perhaps because I’ve given 25/25 to your work), please share your thought on this whole unit.
· Four points may be deducted if you fail to follow any of the above instruction. Last time a few groups did not completely follow the instruction. I took off only one point. But I may take off more points this time. If you submit it after the deadline, it will not be graded and you will get only 5 points.