1) During the third part of the capoeria form known as the corridos, the players enter the roda, or playing circle, and do what?
a) dance/martial art
b) storytelling/improvisational comedy
c) boxing match/test of physical strength
2) The first section of the three-part musical form of capoeira is known as the ladainha. The ladainha that you heard in the listening example was in honor of who?
|a) Barbara Browning, a scholar and practitioner of capoeira
b) Vicente Ferreira Pastinha, the leader, or mestre, of Grupo de Capoeira Angola Pelourinho
|c) Zumbi, leader of Palmaras (escaped slave colony)|
|d) Getulio Vargas, 14th and 17th President of Brazil|
3) One of the four components of a music culture is Activities, which relates to musical practice as well as social organization? What are some contemporary activities associated with capoeira? Is there a particular social organization to the ensemble?
4) Name two Generalizations of African Music-Culture that might apply to capoeira and explain the reason behind your choices?
5) What is the historical significance of capoeira in Brazil?